I used blouses seen in Downton Abbey and Testament of Youth as inspiration for my 1910s blouse. I had a little trouble with the sleeves - which are often tricky, but the blouse pattern went together quite well.
|Some of the inspiration stills I used.|
|Trying on my blouse with my corset.|
The skirt and blouse together:
|I first wore my ensemble on 1st of November.|
|I had so much trouble with the hem! If my sister Heather hadn't been there to help me, I wouldn't have been able to finish my skirt properly!|
|Playing badminton with my nieces. I like to tell people that anything is possible in a corset.|
|The back of the skirt showing the hidden buttons.|
|I had a lot of trouble deciding where to place my buttons, and used this as my inspiration.|
|Then I narrowed it down to one of these three.|
|Covering the buttons in the same fabric as the skirt.|
|A couple of weeks later I decided where to put the decorative buttons!|
The biggest challenge for me with this skirt was the fact that I had to flat-line the material, as the wool/ cotton blend was very thin. I had never done flat-lining before and was afraid that I would ruin the skirt. But luckily it worked out well. It took me much longer to make than I was expecting - as usual - but it went together pretty well and I have been so thrilled with it ever since, and wear it on several occasions. I need a few more blouses now to go with the skirt!