Last autumn, my friend David asked me to sew two kilts for him. I’ve been sewing for about five years, but haven’t ever done anything too fancy, and certainly haven’t taken on a kilt. I was a bit apprehensive, but also welcomed the challenge.
I knew that Folkwear patterns had a kilt pattern, I didn’t know of any other, so I ordered that right away. It ended up being a fabulous pattern, and worked beautifully for both kilts.
Progress photos. The biggest challenge wasn’t the pleating, but the leather! Shudder! Leatherwork is hard!
So many pleats!
A glimpse of the lining.
The First kilt was finished in time for Christmas, so I wrapped it all up nicely.
The final product!I was beyond relieved to learn that it fit perfectly. I’ve mostly made things for myself, so I was quite apprehensive.
Round two! I ordered leather tabs and buckles FROM SCOTLAND and they were much harder to sew! Eek!
I made cloth tabs to go with the leather tabs from Scotland.
The second kilt finished! Yay! This one was quite different from the first, and I’m glad they both fit properly!