Thursday, September 21, 2017

Mystery and Paradox: Madeleine L'Engle

A few months back, I wrote a post about Dorothy L Sayers and a personal friend of mine, Amy Marsland. I would like to continue the theme of women who inspire me by featuring a post about Madeleine L'Engle.



Years ago my mother discovered 'Walking on Water', and which I've been meaning to read for a long time. I finally managed to do so this spring. I was absolutely inspired! There was something on nearly every page which I ended up underlining to remember later. Her views on artists and Christianity were very freeing to me. L'Engle has a frank and inquiring approach to faith. Above all, I love her acknowledgement that we don't know everything, and mystery and uncertainty is just a part of life (I loaned my copy to my sister, so can't pull out any quotes).

I then moved on to the 'Crosswicks Journals'. I've read 'A Circle of Quiet' and have started the next in the series. I look forward to learning and being enlightened more by this wonderful woman.

Recently, whilst trawling google for a nice photo of L’Engle, I happened upon an article by a woman who came to the conclusion that since Madeleine L’Engle didn’t live the perfect life she portrayed in her ‘journals’, her views and truths were flawed and no longer pertinent for this particular author. Ever since reading that Article, I’ve been thinking about it, and wondering if knowing more about the flaws in L’Engle’s life has altered my assessment of her, or lessened the impact she’s had on my life so far this year.

It hasn’t.

What has Madeleine L’Engle done for me this past year? She’s helped me feel more comfortable in my own skin as an author. Sure, I haven’t published a book *yet*. My blog and my instagram accounts aren’t followed by thousands of people. But I write every day. I want to be a published author. I want that to be my job. But I know I’ll write anyway, whether that ever happens or not.

I am happier in my religion. I can now acknowledge that there will always be doubts. There will always be mystery. Yet that strengthens my belief, instead of weakening it.

I feel that I understand my mother (a published author, biographer and poetess Susan Evans McCloud) much better. All creative people fabricate their own world around them, and in recognising that in Madeleine and in myself, I feel I understand my mother a lot better than I did before.

Life is full of paradox, pain, joy and pleasure. Accept it all. It will help you become a better person, and, more importantly, a better creator.

Thank you, Madeleine.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I've been contemplating similar things but with historical figures. I think the current trend is to make the flaws of important historical figures in our history sexy in an underhanded way of tearing them down. It's disturbing, because we're all flawed. People of history did amazing things while being flawed, making mistakes, but doing the best they could for their time. I'm so glad you haven't let other people's doubts tarnish your admiration for an amazing woman.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A powerful post. Your spirit, and some of Madeline L'Engle's as well, sings out. The expansion of s self which you've been experiencing is precious, and your underlying respect and creative comprehension are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete