Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Maryland Trip: Washington Monument

Sarah and me (with her wee boy behind).

Back in April my friend Sarah and I planned for me to visit her in Maryland for a week. I have been looking forward to it ever since - especially as I would be back east in the heart of autumn time, just before Halloween. Perfect! 

It has been several years since I've seen Sarah and her delightful family. She was able to visit when I was in New York, not long before I left for Glasgow. 

On our first full day we went to the Washington Memorial - no, not the one in Washington D.C., but an older memorial erected in the 1820s. Unfortunately we could not go inside, as lightning had struck it in the summer and they were still carrying out repairs. Notwithstanding, it was a beautiful spot. We also walked a short ways along part of the Appalachian Trail which was nearby. 
The view from the memorial.


The temporary fencing around the memorial, damaged by lightning. 

The original Washington Memorial. 
The woods were full of autumn splendour as we walked along the trail a ways. 








I was intrigued by this, as it looks very much like witch hazel, but I've only ever seen witch hazel bloom (in Glasgow) in February. 

1 comment:

  1. I love that photo of the log with leaves. So pretty! I'm so glad you were able to come out. Maryland let loose all her autumn colors just for you. ;-)

    ReplyDelete