Thursday, December 28, 2023

A Hand-sewn Kilt!

 Years ago, when I lived in Salt Lake and was still working as a nanny, a friend from church commissioned me to make two kilts for him. I had never made a kilt in my life, but I felt that I was ready for the challenge. You can see my post about it here: Kilt Commission.

So many pleats! 

That was back in 2017, and since then, I haven't made any other kilts. 

Scott, a good family friend, who officiated at my brother's wedding, and has helped out my family a lot, has wanted a kilt for a long time. A few years back, as a thanks for all he's done, I promised him that I'd make him a kilt. He bought proper wool tartan in his family plaid, and I began it back when Nick and I lived in Idaho. When we moved and drove across the country, I packed it up and put it in our storage unit. I finally got it out again this past summer and finished the kilt! Long overdue!

Last time I really struggled with sewing on the leather buckles. This time it wasn't as big a chore as I was anticipating. 


Again, I used the pattern from Folkwear Patterns, and it turned out even better than before, I think. Having made two kilts previously was a huge help to me, and also, the photos and videos my sister Heather sent me of a kilt she has, that allowed me to see the insides, and a few points that I had forgotten. 

I finally finished it just before Halloween, and I'm so glad it turned out and that it looks good and fits properly! 

The first airing of the kilt. 


My friend Scott wore it to church on Christmas Eve, and I was able to get some more pictures of him wearing his kilt. I love the muted colors in this tartan - it's very pretty. 

A kilt on Christmas Eve. It was very nice to see it on Scott in person after working on it for so long. 


Although it came together well, I think it'll be a very long time again until I am tempted to sew another kilt! It takes a lot of work, and except for some of the lining pieces, it is all hand-sewn. 

A side-view, showing the fringe, the buckles and some of the pleats. 


No comments:

Post a Comment