Monday, June 13, 2022

Chapel Cemetery Coventry

Ferns & trees grow around the old gravestones in the Chapel Cemetery.
 

Ever since I was young, I've loved cemeteries. When I was a teenager, my best friend and I would dress up and take black & white photos in old cemeteries. 

A picture of me (aged 15!) posing by an old gravestone.


While I no longer drape myself over old graves wearing long dresses, I still love to visit them. Cemeteries feel really peaceful to me, I don't think of them as spooky. 


Right opposite the driveway to the house where we're staying is Cueball Road (I'd love to know how it got it's name!). On a recent drive down this road, Nick and I discovered a really lovely cemetery. While it isn't totally neglected, a lot of the stones seem to be lost in the woods in this lovely, quiet spot. We've visited twice and I wanted to share some photos. I haven't been able to find much information on the cemetery, or if there was a chapel next to it (there isn't one now). A list of internments is online, and the oldest grave dates from 1814! 

This grave of Ebenezer Everts dates from 1832



This beautiful grave dates from 1844. There is a flag on his grave and he was a captain. I wonder what war he fought in? He would have been born in 1788.

This one is a little hard to read, but it shows an angel and says "Our Little Hattie."


This picture (and the ones that follow) are from our second visit (we first went two weeks ago) the ferns are a lot taller!


This is the oldest grave we found, dating from 1824. The one from 1814 may be illegible. 


This one really intrigues me. Was Apollos buried here and they just forgot to carve his death year, or was he buried elsewhere? I looked him up on FamilySearch and he was still alive in 1925. It's very mysterious. 


1 comment:

  1. So much here, so much! I can feel the spirit--various spirits! I've never seen so many stones leaning against trees for support . . . I think you should write a poem about that!

    ReplyDelete