Last year, a friend of my sister's was getting rid of a large amount of her vintage pattern collection, and although I favour the 1910s, I acquired quite a few patterns from the 1930s through the 1950s. A few months ago I decided to go through my stash and try out this charming dress (seen above) from the late 1930s.
I've been a little baffled by vintage patterns, and their sizing. I've finally realised that the bust measurements must have been taken under the bust (like bra sizing), and not across the bust as I'd always assumed.
Otherwise the pattern was pretty simple to put together, and is a very comfortable and pretty dress. I decided to simplify the trimming, and only used the white pleated ribbon on the neckline. I also modified the sleeves. I shortened them, and made an inverted pleat instead of gathers.
A view of the shorter, simplified sleeves.
The completed dress!
A close-up of the neckline.